History

1900 - 1961
The original organ was in the north east corner of what is now the Lady Chapel. The Churchwardens paid £150 of their own money to cover the cost of repairing and enlarging it. In 1904 a new boiler and heating apparatus at a cost of £30/2/6.

After 44 years as vicar, Mr Marshall died in November 1905 at the age of 78. His grave is by the vestry door on the south side of the church and a stained glass window was dedicated to is memory in the south wall. The new vicar, Mr Hervey, was the beginning of the end for the choristers as he decided that the customary “free tea” should stop. The choir’s free tea used to take place between the afternoon and evening services with a gallon of ale in a stone bottle for the men. The decision resulted in the choir going on strike outside the vestry door. Eventually when the bells stopped tolling, they did relent, and went in, but things were never the same.

Mr Flower replaced Mr Hervey as vicar in 1910 and in 1914 a Building Committee was formed to oversee the building of a Sunday School and plans were going well when on 4th August the country was plunged into World War 1. Although there was concern regarding the advisability of carrying on the work, it was decided that as in all probability there would be a rise in prices, work should continue. On February 13th, 1915 after a service in church the first sod was cut. Afterwards other people cut sods, contributing 2/6 for each sod they cut, and a ceremony was followed by a tea in old school. On May 29th a stone laying service was held and members of the congregation were encouraged paid to lay stones, a shilling for a brick, 2/6 for a wall stone, small window cill £1 and a large cill was £5.

In 1924 the Rev and Mrs Lister came to Greetland full of zest and enthusiasm and it was during this time that young people rallied around the church. At one period there were over 90 active young folk attending regularly at services and youth club. The institute under the Sunday School was opened for billiards, a First Aid and a Tennis Club flourished at Brian Royd.

By 1928 the graveyard was becoming filled up and steps were taken to purchase land to the North of the burial ground which was held by the District Council. It wasn’t until 1931 that the Council offered the land for a price of £50. It was decided to try and raise £150 by a thorough house to house collection covering all of Greetland and some of West Vale, concentrated into one week. The response was splendid, by the end o f the week £160 had been collected.

In 1931, the Mothers’ Union celebrated the 25th Anniversary of their founding and presented to the church a Private Communion Set. By 1935 a new organ was needed and one was built in the South Transept. The organ body was dismantled and much of it incorporated into the new electrically operated organ, although the manual remained in its original position on the north side of the Chancel. The Lady Chapel was dedicated in November 7th 1936, furnished by the then vicar, Rev Frank Buchanan. In 1933 the Girl Guides was formed followed in 1935 by the first troop of Boy Scouts. A Wolf Cub Pack was formed around the same time. In 1938 a Badminton Club was formed, it lapsed during the second world war, but was re-started at the end of hostilities. Brownies were a more recent innovation, the first pack being formed in 1943.

On August 28th 1939 war clouds were once more on the horizon and blackout precautions were discussed and in October the church officials were asked to be prepared to accommodate people in the Sunday School who might be rendered homeless after air raids. By 1940 Civil Defence Authorities demanded that the church and Sunday School should have Fire Watchers and eight volunteers were needed to take turns. Special Constables were given the keys to the institute which they then used as their Headquarters during alerts. In 1941 the boiler burst and a new one installed at a cost of £72.

Between 1934 and 1958 the West Riding Education Department had used the Sunday School as a Nursery Classroom from 9am to 5pm. [the commencing rent being £105 per annum] Despite the loss of revenue from the rent it was a relief to all to have the building for the church’s exclusive use again.

The Greetland Old Folks Re-union Committee, formed in 1948 was a non denominational organisation used the Sunday School for the old folk’s re-unions. In 1950 they approached the PCC for permission to use the institute as a Derby and Joan Club. Agreement was eventually reached and on August 14th 1954, after being entirely re-decorated by the committee and friends, and for a nominal rent fixed at £10 per annum, it was formally opened by Mr & Mrs Fred Dean.

The Ladies Fellowship was formed in 1951 with nearly 60 members. In the immediate post war years a Dramatic Society gave a series of well produced plays. The Society extended and equipped the stage and built in the proscenium.

A Men’s fellowship was formed during the ministry of Rev Aykroyd Jones and continues to this day under the title of the “Men’s Re-cycling Club!”

In January 1959 the Rev William Hogan was instituted and inducted by the Bishop of Wakefield. He was not able to take up residence in the Greetland Vicarage as considerable alterations and repairs had to be made. During the previous interregnum an estimate of £465 had suggested to cover the repairs and minutes from this time recorded that this was viewed to be “Outrageous”. The final cost was £1,012. No outburst is recorded in the minute regarding the final cost!

Mr Hogan introduced a monthly mid-week Pram Service, instigated the 9am Family Communion service and introduced a monthly newsletter which he compiled, typed and duplicated. Copies were distributed with the Church Magazine.

In 1960 a re-appraisal of church finances was undertaken and it was decided to follow the pattern set by many churches in the country, a scheme got off to a false start but the experience gained proved valuable when the campaign for Christian Stewardship was launched in April of 1961. The campaign was launched with a Loyalty dinner in the Sunday School and this was followed up by personal visits by appointed canvassers to church members. By May 1961 the sum of £980 per annum had been pledged. Continued